Portugueses na Dinamarca



Portugueses na Dinamarca
Næstved Kommune
Rådmandshaven 20
4700 Næstved
Telefon: 5588 5599
Vordingborg Kommune
Valdemarsgade 43 4760 Vordingborg Telefon: 5556 3636
Faxe Kommune Frederiksgade 9 4690 Haslev Telefon: 5620 3000
Statsforvaltningen Sjælland
Dronningensgade 30
4800 Nykøbing F
Telefon: 5482 1864
Work and Life
in Denmark
Algade 12, 3.
4000 Roskilde
Telefon: 4635 1865
Work and life
in Denmark
Skattecenter Næstved
Toldbuen 2
4700 Næstved
Telefon: 7222 1818
Næstved Jobcenter
Jernbanegade 12
4700 Næstved
Telefon: 5588 6600
Jobcenter Vordingborg
Marienbergvej 130
4760 Vordingborg
Telefon: 5536 2300
Jobcenter Faxe
Rådhusvej 2
4640 Faxe
Telefon: 5620 3500
Work and lifeark
in Denm
Guide til
Work and Life
in Denmark
Work and lifeark
in Denm
Guide til
Work and lifeark
in Denm
e om
Samarbe jdstholdelse og
på arbejdspla
Region Sjælland
Støttet af
Næstved Sprog- og Integrationscenter
Kasernevej 20 · 4700 Næstved · Telefon: 5573 5508
Guide to
the civil society
Guide to the civil society
Managing all the issues you have to know about when living in
another country can be difficult. Things which are unfamiliar to you can be important with regards to living,
working and prospering in Denmark.
In Denmark you can receive counselling from the
authorities but you have to know which questions to
ask what authorities. Getting new social relations or
friends can also be difficult. This pamphlet will provide
you with a survey over the Danish public system and
possible social contacts.
The internet is very important to the Danish people and
you can find a lot of information as well as manage your
personal conditions such as taxes or pension funds. You
can access the internet at internet-cafés or at the library.
To get a connection to the internet in your home you
must be registered with the Central Personal Register.
Stays in Denmark
As a citizen of the EU you have the right to stay in Denmark for three months without registration. If you are looking for work you are allowed to stay in the country for up to 6 months
prior to signing up. After this period you must get a EU-certificate of registration and sign
up at the Central Personal Register (CPR). All Danish citizens have a personal CPR-number,
which consists of their date of birth (ddmmyy) as well as four digits, which are unique for each
You are required to show at the Government Administration (Danish: Statsforvaltningen) with your
application, form OD1, which can be retrieved from this website: www.statsforvaltning.dk
If you have an accompanying spouse/cohabitant he or she will also be required to fill out an application form to the Government Administration.
Statsforvaltningen Sjælland or
Dronningensgade 30
4800 Nykøbing F
Afdelingskontoret Roskilde
Algade 12, 3.
4000 Roskilde
If you are not a citizen of a nation within the EU or EEA or Switzerland you should contact
Udlændingeservice (Foreigner Service) an apply for a residence permit. You can find further
information at www.nyidanmark.dk
Once you receive your proof of registration/residence permit you have to be registered with
an address at Borgerservice at your local municipality. Here you will be informed of your CPRnumber and asked to choose a general medical practitioner from a list. Borgerservice will issue
your Health Insurance Card “The Health Card” and mail it to you. Locate the office of Borgerservice in your municipality here: www.borger.dk
Danish courses
All adult foreigners who are listed in the official population register in a Municipality as well as
citizens from within the EU, EEA-countries and Switzerland, who work in Denmark are entitled
to a course in Danish. These courses are a independent educational system targeted at adult
foreigners. You should contact the Job Center in the Municipality you live in to be referred to the
sprogcenter (language center). Here you will be placed in a Danish class which correlate to your
level of mastery. You can find further information on the internet: www.nsi-center.dk
In Denmark taxes take the form of income tax, which is deducted from your salary prior to
monthly payments. Besides salary revenues from interest, stock, rent and fringe benefits are
also considered income. All tax payers have a personal deduction from which no taxes are
payed. Different types of expenses like contributions to pensions, interest expenses, transport
to and from work, labour union contingents etc. are also tax deductable.
The Danish fiscal authority is called SKAT. You must provide SKAT with information about your
economic situation to enable them to calculate your tax rate and your personal deduction. This
is done by mailing or handing in the application form ‘oplysninger til brug for skattekort og evt.
et dansk skattepersonnummer (CPR)’ to the taxation center in the municipality you reside in.
You can find the form and your local tax center at: www.skat.dk
When you child reaches 6 months of age and until it begins school you are entitled to having
it nursed in a nursing home, a kindergarten or in private daycares within the municipality
you live in. The state will contribute to the payment but you will have to pay a monthly fee of
between 1400-3000 kroner. If your yearly income is low you can apply for a grant. Ask people
at your municipality for further information about day care offers, prices and grants.
School and education
All children in Denmark must receive schooling for nine years and begin their schooling no later
than their seventh year. The Danish public school is free and includes an offer for one year of
The eligible age for state pension in Denmark has
been changed from 65 to 67 years of age. If you
were born before 1958 you will be able to retire
when you reach 65 years of age. After that the age
requirement change between 65 and 67 years based on your year of birth.
While you live in Denmark you will receive a Danish
state pension if you are a Danish citizen or a citizen
of a country which is a member of the EU, the EAA;
if you are a fugitive with a residence permit or if you
have lived for 10 years or more in Denmark between
the ages og 15 and 65. You must have a permanent
residency in Denmark to contribute to the state pension, but you do not have to have had a job. Your municipality handle and pay you your state pension.
Private pension plans
You have the option of supplementing your state pension with
a private pension fund in a pension company or bank. There are
three different types of pension:
● Life annuity/lifelong pension: Life annuity usually last the rest
of your life but it can be cashed over a period of 10 years
● Rate pension: Is typically cashed in over a period of 10-25 years. It can be changed to a life annuity/lifelong pension
● Capital pension: A one-off payment. It can be changed to a life
annuity/lifelong pension/rate pension
Private pension funds typically come with an insurance which
covers cases of sickness or death.
The pension system
Private pensions
Childcare during the day
Danish state pension
Labour market pensions
Health insurance is free for every permanent resident in Denmark. You are not required to pay for
visits to the doctor, the hospital or treatment. You
must display your health card when you visit the
doctor. Your health card also provide you with the
right to free acute treatment in other countries within the EU, when you are travelling. Some services
you have to pay for partially yourself with support
from the health insurance, i.e. medicine and dental care.
pre-schooling followed by nine years of basic schooling and an optional 10th grade. The municipality automatically offers your child a place in a local public school. The school will provide
you with further information when your child approaches the proper age. After that you have
to sign your child up but you are free to choose a different public or private school.
After 9th or 10th Grade one can continue to “gymnasiet” which is a three-year education that
grants access to the universities. One can also choose to take a vocational education. All of the
vocational educations as well as the universities are free and entitle you to receive the state
educational grant (Danish: Statens uddannelsesstøtte or SU) while you study. A foreign citizen
can also receive SU. Read more at: www.su.dk
State pensions
Public health insurance
Residence in Denmark
You can use websites which advertise flats or houses to find a place to live - the cost typically
varies between 170-300 kroner per month. A few are free, for instance: http://bolig.dba.dk/
Scanning the local papers, banks and real-estate dealers is also important. Furthermore you can
post ads at your workplace and at the sprogcenter (language center).
Public rental housing: Public rental housing has been built with financial support from the
state and is administered by housing societies. To receive a flat in such a building you have
to be signed up at one or more housing societies. Read more and locate housing societies at
Boligselskabernes Landsforening: www.bl.dk
Private rental housing: The Danish leasehold law applies to all private landlords. Pay special attention to the fact, that you have a timeframe of 14 days to report any flaws or failures
in your residence. Normally you have to pay an advance of three months worth of rent and
an equal amount in surety. You can find further information on the leasehold law at this site:
Owner-occupied residence: As a foreign citizen with a total of of less than 5 years of residence in Denmark you have to have a permit from the Justice Department in order to buy a
house or a flat. This permit is only given if you have a residence permit and are to live in the
property all year round. If you are a citizen of a country in the EU or EAA and work or run a
business in Denmark you do not need a permit. But you must hand in a declaration regarding
year-round residency to the local land registration judge.
Cooperative ownership residency (Danish: Andelsbolig): Andelsboliger are owned by a residence community. If you buy an andelsbolig you own a part of the wealth in that community
and are given the right to live in a flat. This involves both a down payment and monthly rent.
Cars in Denmark
If you bring your own car from a different nation within the EU you do not have to pay
customs. If it is older than six months and have driven more than 6000 kilometres you do
not have to pay VAT either. You must register your car within two weeks of moving to Denmark. If your stay is only temporary you can be exempt from registration tax. Registration
is done at your local tax center and you have to bring registration form 21.106 (which can
be retrieved from the SKAT website). Your car must undergo inspection first. Find out where
that can be done at www.fstyr.dk
In Denmark there is a registration tax on
cars, which also apply to foreign cars when
they are imported and registered in Denmark. Typically the fee is in the order of 5560 % of the value of the car (in Denmark).
You can find the Danish prices and a calculator to help you calculate the registration tax at
the SKAT website www.skat.dk
Spare time and social contacts
Finding new friends can be difficult when you move to a new country. The first condition is that
you are open and ready to instigate contacts with other people. The Danes can come across as
somewhat closed, but most often an approach will result in a smile and a helping hand.
If you have a hobby or want to try something new, signing up for activities or courses in
your local community is a very good idea. Whether you like sports, dancing or nature there
are always groups of people who offer courses or arrangements, i.e.:
You could also consider working as a volunteer or participate in a association. There is a
great variety to choose from - anything from the Alzheimer association to the association
for foreign students. Here is a list of associations, councils and clubs: